RPM conflicts between glibc-devel and glibc-kernheaders

Michael Kratz mkratz at internode.com.au
Tue Aug 3 07:33:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my (now) redhat 7.2 box to redhat 7.3

However one issue I've come across is glibc-devel... when I try to
upgrade glibc-devel I get this issue:

<snip>
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: glibc-devel.i386]
[deps: glibc-kernheaders.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
</snip>
Getting glibc-devel-2.2.5-44.i386.rpm
Getting glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16.i386.rpm
Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
Errors installing:
('file /usr/include/sys/acct.h conflicts between attempted installs of
glibc-devel-2.2.5-44 and glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16', (6,
'/usr/include/sys/acct.h', 0L))
<snip>

it then lists a whole swag of files...

1. anyone know why is this occuring?
2. can I override it by installing manually and forcing the RPM's? is
this likely to bork anything?

Cheers,

Michael