Kernel update advisory text to approve...

Simon Weller simon at nzservers.com
Fri Aug 6 19:32:30 UTC 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 02:21 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 06 August 2004 11:00, Peter M. Abraham wrote:
> > Greetings Jesse:
> >
> >  From Progeny:
> >
> >          "The most recent kernel security advisory
> > (TSSA-2004:6552-01) contains a bug that may cause some customers
> > machines appear to hang during the boot process while trying to load
> > the loopback device or experience problems using netstat.  While we
> > have a very thorough QA process, especially for something as
> > important as the kernel, sometimes a bug will slip through. We have
> > been working with the customers who have this problem to replicate it
> > on our own machines and hope to have a fix shortly."
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Very interesting.  I wonder what they did to introduce that.  Has
> anybody tested our kernel in updates-testing to see if ours has the
> same problem?

I have zero problems with netstat on the latest test kernel, and haven't seen
any lockups on boot.
It sounds like a pretty strange issue...maybe they've updated a dodgy network
card driver somewhere along the line.

- Si
--
Simon Weller LPIC-2, BCIP
Systems Engineer

<-
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work on it.
 - Scott Granneman, Security Focus
->