uhm, seems like I screwed up a bit...

Michael Kratz mkratz at internode.com.au
Thu Aug 19 00:57:51 UTC 2004

I came across a similar thing when I updated a few things on a Redhat 8
box of mine.

I upgraded rpm, db3, db4 and python

then I did

rpm --rebuilddb -vv

the next time I tried to run yum it grizzled in a similar way to
yours... at that point then I manually downloaded the latest rpm version
of yum 2 and upgraded it manually (rpm -Uvh yum-blah)

then again I did:

rpm --rebuilddb -vv

then ran yum and it worked fine.

Barbara Pennacchi wrote:

> Hi folks, I found time to upgrade via yum from rh 8.0 to rh 9.0 the
> server. It went almost flawlessly (that is, without major and unfixable
> glitches :)
>
> But recently I had to try upgrading python from 2.2.2 to 2.3.2 (for
> another software installment). And this seems to have broken up yum's
> heart.
>
> I tried upgrading yum to 2.0.7, but remains broken. Tried also
> rewinding  back both yum and python to the versions meant for rh9 (with
> "rpm -Uvh -- force"). However, yum still keeps spitting back at me these
> lines when I  try to call it in action:
>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>>     import yummain
>>   File "yummain.py", line 21, in ?
>>   File "clientStuff.py", line 25, in ?
>>   File "pkgaction.py", line 25, in ?
>>   File "rpmUtils.py", line 9, in ?
>>   File "urlgrabber.py", line 21, in ?
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 101, in ?
>>     import ftplib
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ftplib.py", line 68, in ?
>>     all_errors = (Error, socket.error, IOError, EOFError)
>> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'error'
>

> Unfortunately, I'm not really much into python (de gustibus...) so I
> don't  know where to start looking. If anyone of you could give me a
> hint, I'd be  grateful :)
>
> -
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |         WARNING WARNING WARNING *** EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGED!         |
> |                  USE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW                  |
> |     IF YOU KEEP WRITING TO THE OLD ADDRESS IT IS NOT MY FAULT!     |
> | Barbara Pennacchi                          b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it |
> |                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
> |         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
> |                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
> |                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |

Michael