Redhat 7.0 (samba RPMs)

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 23:43:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 09:40:37AM +1000, Chris Leighton wrote:
> When I said:
> > There are still people using this version on low-end machines (p200, etc.).
>
> I should have said "with 24 MB of RAM". And that kernel 2.2 was smaller than
> the 2.4 kernels in RH 7.1 and on. And that I was not interested in upgrading
> the OS or the hardware. And that two machines are '486s :)

FWIW, I'm running Slackware 9.1 very comfortably on a 100MHz Pentium
with 16MB of RAM. And it works well with both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. This
might be easier to support in the long run than something as old as Red
Hat 7.0.

(I haven't tried Slackware 10 on this box yet, although I plan to in the
next several days.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>