Yum updates, cyber goats or Ximian?

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve guallar at easternrad.com
Fri Aug 27 15:20:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 27 August 2004 10:47 am, Takemoto wrote:

> I have a Redhat refugee aquaitance that recommends
> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/update.html
> or even
> http://www.suse.com/
> Anything wrong with going down that path? Is it apt?
>
> Yum yum?
>
> Tim
Hi Tim,

Nothing wrong with those paths (they are essentialy the same).  The downside
is a complete re-install plus different tools.

For Desktop, I'm very happy with MandrakeLinux. It's pretty close to Red Hat
(/etc/sysconfig et all). And it is very user friendly. Mandrake uses "urpmi"
for apt/yum/up2date.

For servers, for the "free as in beer" way, try using CentOS. This is RHEL's
SRPMs compiled without copyrighted material. CentOS is as RHEL as it can be.
And it uses yum.

Regards,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve		Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
Systems and PACS Administration  http://www.easternrad.com