kernel-2.4.20-37.9.legacy.src.rpm problem

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Thu Dec 9 19:08:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:34:29 +0000, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:13:59 -0700 in
> 20041209101359.B20878 at mail.harddata.com Michal Jaegermann
> <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>
>>  Well, no, not really.  This gets unpacked into
>>
>>       $(rpm --eval %_topdir)/SOURCES
>
> True, but I was trying to simplify it a bit!

Sorry, it didn't help me for the big picture, although I do understand
variables and parameters, but not these specific ones (yet).

I understand the old macro assembler, and direct single or multiple pass
compilers that work on a source file and create an object or exe file, but
I haven't a clue how this old knowledge can be used to understand all this
"make", "patch", and "diff" stuff.  It's still a complete mystery to me. I
need a kindergarten tour somewhere. :-)

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html