Fedora Legacy and Fedora's cvs

Rob Myers rob.myers at gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 17 23:14:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 14:08, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Rob Myers wrote:
> > what is the larger picture?  i advocate the convergence of the
> > fedora-legacy releases with the FC-1 cvs tree.
>
> First, I'm not 100% sure what you're suggesting:

let me try and restate what i'm thinking.

redhat has an FC-1 tree that is different from the fedora legacy FC-1
tree.

i think it would be advantageous to merge these trees.  this would
alleviate any confusion as to which FC-1 tree is the "correct" FC-1
tree.  furthermore, tree convergence would set a clear path for future
fedora legacy maintenance.

>      This implies that the FL FC1 releases will have more than just
>      minimal security fixes.

i think fedora legacy should stick to minimal security fixes, as much as
possible.  does tree convergence imply that the FC-1 tree would have
more than just minimal security fixes?  that is not clear to me.

could the redhat folks live with a "merged" FC-1 tree with only minimal
updates?  how does redhat use their FC-1 tree?

> The biggest issue here is probably how much effort we'd be willing to
> put doing QA and handling the breakage that this approach would imply.

again, it is not clear to me that a "merged" FC-1 tree implies more than
minimal updates.

it would be helpful to hear someone from redhat describe how they
currently use their FC-1 tree, and how they plan on using the EOL'd
trees in the future.

rob.