How to do QA

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Mon Feb 9 07:25:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:38:53 -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> I believe it would be good to add some canned set of commands to help
> QA testers verify these types of things.  For example, these can be
> used on the old and new source and binary RPM's to see what changed:
>
> rpm -qpl redhat-package.rpm > redhat-package
> rpm -qpl redhat-package-update.rpm > redhat-package-update
> diff -u redhat-package redhat-package-update

Be sure to use -qplv, so you get to see file permissions, ownerships and
sizes.

> > checklist don't apply at all to Fedora Legacy. I feel that starting with
> > this list as a basis is approaching the "QA problem" from the wrong
> > direction. Start at the top and refine the procedures and policies.
>
> I disagree that starting with this list is a bad idea.  Sure, many of
> the things can be removed, but many of them are also trivial.  These
> policies have been refined over time and it would be a shame to ignore
> them and start from scratch.

Let's see:

 1. does not apply (short: DNA)
 2. DNA / a diff against previous src.rpm content should be done
 3. DNA
 4. DNA
 5. yes, necessary for the build system
 6. DNA
 7. DNA / not needed to "improve" old packages
 8. DNA
 9. DNA
10. DNA / completely unimportant for old package updates
11. for upgrades this would make rpmlint happy, nothing else
12. DNA for ordinary patch-work
13. DNA -"-
14. DNA / I wouldn't touch it in updates to old packages
          because SMP make flags can break the build