web site ammendments for yum

Jonas Pasche mail at jonaspasche.de
Wed Feb 4 13:18:38 UTC 2004

Hi Raphael,

> Overall I think it would be good to have a page with an obvious name
> ("Download" is good. So would be "Getting Started") that a non-expert
> will go to and will provide all the info needed to get started.

I fear that "Getting started" is equivalent to "Download" to the average
impatient user, just as a "Screenshots" section is obviously the most
important page for a GUI application. The first question when hearing
something about a project is "Cool, where can I download it?". That's
the reason why I heavily insisted on putting a strong advice on the
"Download" page to tell the user that he should follow "Documentation"
instead, because the "Download" page is only for experts.

> [...]
> however it is recommended instead that you install one
> of the automatic package management programs apt (XXX link to page with
> apt packages for fedora-legacy and any info for unsupported redhat
> versions XXX) or yum (XXX link to page with yum packages for
> fedora-legacy and any info for unsupported redhat versions XXX).
> [...]
> After installing apt or yum, you may optionally set it up to use some
> mirror sites.
> [...]
> Once you have got the preconfigured yum/apt packages installed you may
> update packages on your system following the standard instructions here
> (XXX link XXX)
> [...]

Sorry, but I don't understand how exactly this differs from the
instructions that can be found in the Documentation section. "Install
apt or yum", "Set up mirrors", "Update your system"... it looks like a
short summary of the full documentation to me, leaving out at least the
important part of importing the Fedora Legacy GPG key which isn't too
obvious even to experienced users.

I don't think we should put even more documentation onto the Download
page as we have a separate Documentation page. From my point of view,
the download page should only used by users that know what to do and
just need the according information (e.g. where are the repositories,
what channels are provided, what do I have to put in my repository
configuration).

It does no good if we try to hold the hand of people who are not sure
how to handle this information. These people should go to the
Documentation page, and the Download page should strongly encourage them
to do so.

> Specific packages can be found at http://download.fedoralegacy.org/ with
> support for the apt and yum update tools (XXX is this true? I mean what
> can a user do with that piece of information? XXX)

Not too much; an apt/yum user need the repository entries in copy+paste
format for his configuration file. However, there might be people that
simply want to download a specific package manually.

> In addition to the Fedora Legacy updates, there is other software
> available in different sub-trees.

I know that this has already been in the original file, but it's a bit
confusing that we start with "In _addition_ to ... updates" and then
listing all the channels _including_ the updates channel.

> legacy-utils
>     Support tools for Legacy servers such as yum, apt-get, etc.

I vote for using "apt" instead of "apt-get" here, because the tool is
"apt", and "apt-get" is a command of the "apt" tool.

> I am not at all clear what the relationship between www.fedoralegacy.org
> and  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraDocuments is.  There seems to be a
> lot of info in the latter that is not in the former but some overlap.

- The fedora.us wiki contains the roots of the Fedora Legacy project, so
  you would find some content there. It should be on our todo list to
  convert that content to fedoralegacy.org, maybe replacing the
  according wiki pages with a link to the new and updated pages.

- Many of the documents on fedora.us contain information on using the
  additional packages for 8.0, 9 and FC1. This information is not needed
  on fedoralegacy.org, and I'd expect it to be converted to pages on
  fedora.redhat.com some day. We can't use the Fedora Howto because we
  don't distribute Fedora packages. We can't use the Mirror Howto
  because our mirror's aren't the same. We _do_ need an adaption of
  "Policies and Procedure" that matches our requirements; that's my
  part actually. We don't need most of the packaging standards because
  we only update packages that already exist, and so on.

Jonas