Suggestion for a new Download page

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Feb 5 18:12:31 UTC 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 10:02, Raphael Clifford wrote:
> I should say straight off that there may be something fundamental
> about yum that I don't understand.  I am getting the impression that
> you need a special version of yum to use fedora-legacy and not just
> the correct yum.conf with any old version of yum. Is this right?  I
> am using yum on many different redhat machines, some with
> fedora-legacy and have never knowingly got a special version but
> notwithstanding that piece of ignorance here are my comments FWIW.

No, you do not need a special version of yum for Legacy.  All you need
is the correct information in your config file.  That said, RHL8 is a
special case.  There may possibly bet two yum and two apt options for
RHL8.  One for each rpm version.  There are many folks (myself
included) that are unwilling to install the rpm upgrade as the problems
of RPM are not apparent when using yum1 for all your packaging needs.

> I'm a little confused by that. I am using yum on redhat 8.0 with
> fedora-legacy. I first updated rpm to the less broken version on
> rpm.org.  Do you mean there isn't a downloadable yum rpm with
> yum.conf preconfigured for fedora legacy?

Yes, that is what he means.

> There can be documentation
> for how to use redhat 8.0 with fedora-legacy can't there? a) upgrade
> rpm b) download yum from the yum home page (or get one with yum.conf
> for FL already configured for you) c) (if needed) update yum.conf for
> FL .  I would strongly suggest that any new docs tell people to
> upgrade rpm to a less broken version as the version that comes with
> redhat 8.0 (at least) is truely awful.

Again, these bugs in rpm are not triggered by yum use, only by rpm
direct use and apt use.  Therefor there are many folk who will not
upgrade rpm, and we need to provide tool sets and instructions to
handle both camps.  If it were up to me, we'd drop 8.0 from legacy all
together, as it was a complete crap platform, but community wishes
dictate otherwise.

Mondo DevTeam           (www.mondorescue.org)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: