Regarding QA

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 6 07:02:00 UTC 2004

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> I have to ask you, what exactly do you need to know?  To Verify, you
> download the package, install it, and make sure it works.

* how do you know what packages to test (only with slocate was it announced
on the list, before that you had to know where to look, remember to look,
etc)

* If you don't know how to use the package, how do you know if it works?
(so I can't help test apt if I don't have any docs on how to use it, etc)

* Once I see it works, how do I report that it works?

* How do I verify I'm testing the correct package (gnupg signature checks,
etc)

* How do I get a gnupg signature?  Do I need to register it somewhere? how?
Where?

* How do I sign a message? What does cleartext sign mean?  etc.

>  You then edit a
> text file that says what you did, save the file, then run "gpg --clearsign
> file".  This will create a file.asc file.  Copy the entire contents into
> the bugzilla form.  You have now verified a package (;

But I don't have a gpg key.  How do I get one?  Is there anything I need
to know about getting a key (size, type, content, etc)?  How should I
protect it once I have it?  Copy the contents of what (the file I created,
the .asc file, both?)

> Help me help you.  Where are you stuck?  What needs more explaining?  To me
> it's a simple process, but I'm probably too deep in to see where it's not
> simple for new comers.

You assume I'm at your level.  That I already have a gpg key (I don't).
That I know how to get such a key (I don't).  That I know how to register
such a key somewhere (I don't).  That I know how to use such a key (I don't).
That I have gpg installed on my machine (I do!).  And so on.

To you, this is all simple.  To me, this is rocket science...

> The threads have been long and numerous on docs and I haven't had the time
> to fully read through them (and I doubt I will).  I will however review
> any documentation that you want me to.

Please review the QA.php file I posted.

> A direct email would work, as well
> as pinging me on IRC or through an instant messenger (I run msn/aim/icq,
> contact me privately through email if you'd like my info).

Installing some form o instant messenger is on my todo list.  Never used
one though.  Will do when I get some time.  Don't use IRC, would rather not.
E-mail I prefer to send to the list most times, as I can get feedback from
more than one person (Jesse, you know I e-mail both you and the list often).

> I deeply appreciate what you've done for the project thus far, and I'd like
> to help you do more.

I've offered to do more "behind the scenes" stuff, but I feel that you
are too busy to take me up on it (kind of like offers from Warren and
Chuck).  Also, you have no real reason to trust me yet since I've never
posted my introduction, etc.  (I plan to, now that I've documented how
to, just as soon as I get a gpg key).

Don't take my complaining too seriously.  I'm over dramatic when trying
to solicit help.  But the docs I'm writing I write for one reason:  I
don't know the answer, and I know others don't know the answer, and that
is holding us back.  So, to get me and others involved, I try to research
the topic, try to solicite input from others, and try to put together a
doc that will allow me (and hopefully others) to do what we want to do,
what you want us to do, without having to bomb the mailing list or yourself
with the same questions over and over (how do I get a gpg key, etc).
You (and the list) shouldn't have to answer these types of questions; the
docs should do that.  That's why I'm trying to document this kind of
stuff.

Well, it's late, sorry for running on like that...

--
Eric Rostetter