jumpstarting yum on 7.2

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 20 20:42:36 UTC 2004

Quoting g <gmott at ntlworld.com>:

> after installing 7.2 from CD, the instructions at
> http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh7x.php
> do not work:

I see.

> #  rpm -Uvh
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm

We'd have to allow for rpm* and popt here.  You could do that
all on one line, but it would be a very long line.  I'm not sure
of a good remote solution...

> #  rpm -Uvh --nodeps /tmp/yum-* /tmp/rpm-* /tmp/popt-*

You should not have to use --nodeps.  If you do, then something is wrong.

> #  yum update
> .conflict between kernel-smp and bcm5820
> conflict between kernel-debug and bcm5820
> conflict between kernel and bcm5820

That is, I guess, a real conflict, and not a problem yum or our docs can
really address.

> #  rpm -e bcm5820
> #  yum update

But, that is a good solution assuming you don't need bcm5820.

> Getting php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm
> Error: MD5 Signature check failed for
> /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm

Again, not a problem with yum or the docs, but perhaps a problem with
the file in the repository you used.  You need to contact the repository
owner about such problems.  It may be a corrupted file, or a file caught
during an update of the repo, or a corruption of the download of the
file from the site.

> exclude=

Be default it would exclude kernels, and hence your conflict above
would not have happened (for better or for worse).

> # Added this because some mirrors go down and then retying takes forever.
> retries=1

Interesting ;)

--
Eric Rostetter