yum and apt differences.

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 21 05:38:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:16:51PM -0800, David Rees wrote:
>On Fri, February 20, 2004 at 4:56 pm, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:47:10PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>>> * yum ignores kernel updates by default, but apt doesn't.  * yum
>>> doesn't auto install any gpg keys, but apt does.
>>>
>>> Should we not try to make these consistent between yum and apt?  Or
>>> is the yum/apt history that says they should act differently?
>>
>> I brought this up at the time I packaged yum, but there was no
>> consensus other than yum should behave the same way up2date did
>> (which is why it exludes kernels by default), and root's gpg keyring
>> shouldn't be messed with automatically by the package.
>>
>> Does anyone use apt non-interactively, i.e. via cron?  If not, then
>> these differences don't matter too much I guess.  I view apt as a
>> nicer user interface, more featureful sysadmin tool to be used
>> interactively, not as an autoupdate mechanism.
>
>It seems that people either prefer to use yum or apt and tend to not
>mix the two.  People familiar with apt will very likely use it
>non-interactively via cron, especially those who come from a Debian
>background.  apt for Fedora Legacy should probably behave like the
>original apt, unless there is a good reason not to.

I use apt on Debian machines non-interactively, but only to download new
stuff, and let me know that I need to run upgrade myself. I use yum on
the Fedora-Legacy boxes rather than apt, because I want to make sure I
realize they are different than the Debian boxes. I'll probably switch
over to apt on them, when I am comfortable doing so.

 Windows is the answer, but only if the question was
 'what is the intellectual equivalent of being a galley slave?'
	--Larry Smith, in comp.os.linux.misc