jumpstarting yum on 7.2

g gmott at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 25 11:16:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 23:26, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 15:12, g wrote:
> > it does appear that the provided yum configuration, and the docs,
> > presume we don't want to update the kernel.  i realize this is also
> > what the default up2date configuration was.  even so, this is strange
> > thinking.  the updated kernel is essential if we're talking about
> > security.
>
> Nobody is saying that you don't want to upgrade the kernel, however many
> people (like me) don't want our automatic update systems grabbing a new
> kernel w/out me knowing about it.

actually i don't see the point.  a new kernel gets downloaded, and even
entered into grub.conf as a choice, but the previous default boot kernel
is not changed.  so what's the worry?

(; heck if i were to take issue with things that get automatically
updated, it would be that package updates in general seem to think that
the right thing to do is to install their startup links in
/etc/rc.d/rcN.d, even though there were no links for that package in
there before the update, which means that after every automatic update,
i have to throw out the contents of all the /etc/rc.d/rcN.d and put in
there (only) what i want in there.  but come to think of it, i have read
that debian does the Right Thing there, so perhaps there is hope over
the horizon. ;)