Calling rsync testers...

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Jan 29 14:49:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:57:32AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > OK, we've mirrored the whole tree, using hard-linking, but only Red
>
> How did you do this?
>
> I've tried pre-hardlinking my Red Hat mirror to the fedora legacy tree
> (following http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraMirrorHOWTO), but every
> time I start rsync, it un-hardlinks the files and redownloads them.  I
> moved the linked files to the single i386 and SRPMS directories for
> legacy, and the dates, times, and file sizes match.  The contents are
> also identical.  For example, these are commands I am using for 7.2
> updates:
>
> Does anyone know how to make rsync not undo the hardlinking?

Ummm, maybe use -H

>From the rsync man pg:
-H, --hard-links
              This tells rsync to recreate hard  links  on the  remote  system
              to   be  the  same as the local system. Without this option hard
              links are treated like regular files.

              Note that rsync can only detect hard links if both parts of  the
              link are in the list of files being sent.

              This option can be quite slow, so only use it if you need it.

Of course if the remote system is not hard linked then you cannot do this.
Instead if going through the mess you did to create the hardlinks, you could
simply run the hardlink program over the trees.

HTH,

...Tom