Preparing 7.2 and 7.3 now...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 1 11:51:25 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:
> os        Base Distribution
> updates        RH updates + Legacy updates
> updates-testing    Legacy updates undergoing regression testing
> stable        Very limited number of add-on packages
>
> Fedora Legacy users should use minimally os, updates, and stable
> channels.  If you want to participate in testing of candidate updates,
> then also subscribe to updates-testing channel.
>
> stable channel will contain mainly support utilities from fedora.us and
> Legacy like apt, yum, and fedora-rpmdevtools.  We can also consider
> adding other safe and simple server support tools only by consensus.  I
> would suggest these packages that are already in fedora.us stable for
> inclusion:
>
> bonnie++        Very useful stability test for servers
> chkrootkit        Security checking for servers
> ddrescue        Data recovery for servers
> hardlink        Space consolidation for mirror servers
> iptstate        Very simple Netfilter stateful top [1]
>
> Any other suggestions for simple server support tools?
> I would suggest against expanding the scope beyond this for Legacy's
> support of these older distributions.

I just realized one problem with this scheme.  While "stable" works this
way for RH7.2 and RH7.3 at fedora.us, we cannot have "stable" as
mandatory for Legacy users on RH8, RH9 and FC1 because those
repositories already contain many more packages beyond the stated scope
of Legacy.

For this and the reason of consistency, I am renaming Legacy's "stable"
to "legacy".  The "legacy" channel serves the exact same purpose across
all distributions.

Warren