Backporting policy

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jan 9 02:00:47 UTC 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 16:00, Warren Togami wrote:
> I think we should also consider upgrading in cases where all of the
> following conditions are met:
> 1) Absolutely zero cases where API changes would effect any
> distribution OR 3rd party software, because the updated package is a
> leaf node on the dependency tree.  I suspect screen may be another
> leaf node. 2) Where having a common %{version} across multiple
> distributions would make it easier to maintain security updates,
> because patches need not be ported and tested multiple times.
> 3) Only by consensus of the list membership.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this fits perfectly.  I'm willing to set this forth as a policy,
which reminds me.  On our website, under participate, we need a section
for current policies, this being one of them, the package naming being
another, etc...

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: