Thoughts on legacy...

Christian Pearce pearcec at commnav.com
Thu Jan 15 20:07:48 UTC 2004

Eric Rostetter said:

> Several of us non-leaders tried to step forward to help.  We were told a line
> of gibberish about using such and such IRC, such and such wiki, etc.  But I
> don't use IRC.  I don't know what wiki is or how to use it.  I was being
> asked to do stuff, without directions, that I didn't know how to do, and
> didn't know why I needed to do them.  So nothing happened....

I didn't use IRC either, but the fact of the matter is I needed to use this in order to be helpful for the projects sake.  I learned.  I believe a good deal of projects get done this way.  It is a virtual meeting room.

When you are asked to do something, it is because something needs to get done.  When there is lack of direction that means there is a lack of leadership and decisions need to be made.  So make them.  If some one voices there opinion differently let them do the work then.  I think working on these projects doesn't mean having someone spell it out for you.  If they did that they might as well do it themselves.  I don't mean to sound critical on this, but I think this is just the way it goes.

> This happened on several projects I tried to get into.  So, I did nothing
> but lurk...  Sad.  I could contribute, but am being blocked from doing so
> because no one will take the time to help me get up to speed on the
> infrastructure the aledged "leaders" want to impose on the community.

Take the time to learn it yourself.  Or jump on IRC and start asking questions.  Everyone was very helpful in getting me up to speed.  I have a lot of packaging experience and I am knowledgable in many things.  But I wasn't use to all the GPG key signing, and wasn't familiar with all the fedora policy we adopted.  So I just asked.  Hashing out newbies on the list can be quite noisy.

Getting up to speed is part of the process.  I don't know who is "aledging" to be a leader, but there are certainly people among us doing work and making decisions, that puts them in a leadership role whether they wanted it or realzed it or not.  I don't think anyone is imposing anything other than trying to solve the problem the best way they (we) know how.

> I'll be updateing the Fedora Legacy web site just as soon as I get a chance.
> Unfortunately lately I've been too busy dealing with issues of my wife's
> health (along with my work responsibilities) to help as much as I would like
> to.  Strangely, it turned out in the end I could help with the web site
> without learning about IRC, wiki, and all that other new-aged stuff...

IRC is older than dirt.  Wiki's are nothing new or difficult to understand.

I am sorry this isn't easier for you, but I feel I was in the same position as you were and I was interested it working on this project.  Therfore I spent time reading and learning so I could be come an active particpant.

--
Christian Pearce
http://www.commnav.com