Self-Introduction: Jonas Pasche

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jan 16 17:44:43 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 09:16, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Here is my list of FAQ's, but without good answers.  If anyone can
> supply answers, I'll get them on the web site asap.
>
> * What is the errata policy for The Fedora Legacy Project?

It's "update" and not errata first.  For RHL systems, we will continue
to issue backports for as long as there is community interest.  At
lease another 1.5 years.  For FC releases, we will follow a 1-2-3 and
out policy.  FC1 is released, then FC2.  When FC2 releases, FC1 is no
longer supported by RH.  Legacy then supports FC1.  FC3 releases and RH
drops FC2.  Legacy picks up FC2, and FC1 becomes deprecated.  FC4
releases, RH drops FC3, Legacy picks up FC3, Legacy drops FC1, and FC2
becomes deprecated.  This will insure roughly 1.5 years of updates
total for any FC release.  When Legacy drops a release, backports are
still accepted, but they neither get Legacy keysigned, nor get QAd.
Perhaps we'll have a seperate "unsupported" repository.  This needs
more discussion, but can wait.

> * What version of RHL/FC are supported?

RHL 7.[123], 8.0.  In the future, we'll support RHL9, FC1, etc...

> * What architectures are supported?

x86 for now.  With FC releases, x86_64 will be come supported as well.
SRPMS are provided so that other archs can use them.

> * How do I update packages?

Using yum, apt-get, or manually downloading packages from our updates
channel.  Currently updates are hosted at fedora.us, soon to be
expanded to our mirror system.  The mirror system needs engineering,
but it can wait just a bit longer.

> * How do I get notifications about new updates when they become
> available?

By signing up to the fedora-legacy-announce list:

> * Where can I get more info on apt/yum?

Specific Legacy related info, or just general info?

> Anyone interested in posting the IRC logs on the web?  Might be
> interesting for those of us who don't IRC to be able to browse the
> logs...

Could be possible, although the logs tend to be quite long and not
exactly easy to follow.  My client logs IRC and I have a persistant
connection to the channel.  I can provide the text files from that
channel log if you'd like.  Perhaps we can run a logging bot in the
future.  I'm still not sure about this one.  Thoughts?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: