[Fwd: [WBEL-devel] Rebuilt Progeny RPMs for RHL 7.2/7.3/8.0]

Ray Ferguson fedora-legacy at share-foo.com
Fri Jan 16 19:09:28 UTC 2004

Technically the sources are GPLed so the provider never has to have a
subscription or SLA of any kind to be entitled to the source code.
Additionally WBEL scrubs the source of trade marks prior to recompile, so you
can use WBEL without voiding RHEL SLAs.  Same goes for progeny.  However, I
agree with you that using these products reduces the incentive for the
companies to continue releasing and maintaining the products.  Personally I'm
leaning heavily towards using Progeny, but if we do so, it will be under
straightforward terms.  We will pay for every box that uses the RPMs even
though we will be maintaining our own repository and could get away with
hell.  The reason is quite simple.  $60/yr per box is affordable, and if
enough people pay it, Progeny will make money and continue providing the
service.

Now WBEL on the other hand, I do use at home for development and
experimentation.  At work, in production, we pay for it.  It's also good for
academia.  RH's refusal to reduce their rates and offer RHEL under affordable
terms to academic institutions already excludes those potential consumers who
now must find alternate solutions.  I should think RH would be better off
with those consumers then using WBEL instead of SUSE, Mandrake, Debian or
another alternative.  This way they still can maintain mind-share they way
they formerly did with the standard RH line.  Most of the customers RHEL is
targeting won't touch WBEL anyway since support for it is an unknown and
though it may be technically legal, it smells sketchy.  I think RH has
already realizes that WBEL is not a threat, and that it may even be good for
RHEL.  This would explain why they haven't made any efforts to F* w/ WBEL.

Sorry if my 2 cents is a little off topic.

BTW:

1. Ray Ferguson
2. Madison, WI
3. Operations Engineer
4. Berbee
5. Goals: provide migration solution.
6. Qualifications: unimportant as I do not have time to contribute. I will let
you know if this changes.

-ray.