Self-Introduction: Jonas Pasche

Jonas Pasche mail at jonaspasche.de
Fri Jan 16 20:25:01 UTC 2004

Hi Jesse,

> Number 1, change "errata" to "update".

Fixed. For my clarification; what exactly is the difference between
these two words? Red Hat publishes all updates as "errata" with the
subcategories "security alerts", "bugfixes" and "enhancements"; that's
why I thought "errata" would be appropriate.

> Number 2, feel free to drop the 7.1, I was mistaken.  You list "7.2,
> 7.3, and 8.0, as /both/".  Shouldn't that both be more like "as
> /these/"?  All FC releases will be supported, please see my other email
> about support length.

Fixed.

> Number 3, 7.2 was actually released for ia64 and s390, but I doubt there
> are many legacy users that are interested in those.  We do not have the
> resources to be able to build packages and QA packages for these archs.
> There is an amd64 release of FC1 in public test 1 phase right now, so
> we will support amd64 FC1.

Fixed; but I don't publish concrete plans for FC1 yet, because it's
neither officially published for amd64 nor outdated yet.

> Number 4, the mirror list will have locations, so we can flat list areas
> of the world and list mirrors that way.

What does that mean for the published page? IMHO we should dynamically
provide a link to a near mirror, based on the IP of the user, and give
the option to list other mirrors. Alternatively, show the fedora.us
download URL, but let the link target be a page to select a mirror
instead of a direct link to the fedora.us download server.

Any suggestions?

I'd prefer a simple solution that can be used _anywhere_ on the site
whereever download links are needed.

> Number 5, the example should be on the download page probably.  Link to
> it.

I'll include this in my still-to-do end user "How to use Fedora Legacy"
page. Actually I find that title better than "Download", because using
Fedory Legacy isn't actually like downloading and installing a package,
but that's open to discussion.

> Number 6, Link to the download page, the download page should link to
> apt/yum respective homepages.

Fixed.

> Number 7, We're free and public, we're providing longer support, we
> support yum/apt freedownloads, we will support Fedora Core.

Fixed. How long will Progeny provide support? I haven't found a concrete
statement on their website, so how can we tell that we're providing
longer support?

> Number 8, change the "to" to "two".  To answer your question, it's more
> of when RH no longer supports FC3, thats when Legacy picks it up, and
> no longer supports FC1.  Legacy will end up (officially) supporting 2
> FC releases at any given time.

Fixed, but still not-so-easy to understand, I think. Maybe a small graph
can clarify this? If yes - volunteers? I'm not good at such things.

Jonas