Self-Introduction: Jonas Pasche

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 16 21:51:46 UTC 2004

Quoting Jonas Pasche <mail at jonaspasche.de>:

> > Number 4, the mirror list will have locations, so we can flat list areas
> > of the world and list mirrors that way.
>
> What does that mean for the published page? IMHO we should dynamically
> provide a link to a near mirror, based on the IP of the user, and give
> the option to list other mirrors. Alternatively, show the fedora.us
> download URL, but let the link target be a page to select a mirror
> instead of a direct link to the fedora.us download server.

I could code something up in php which would check the user's IP, find it's
theoretical country code, and try to match that to a mirror's country code.
But what if there is no mirror in their country?  How to we find a "close"
or "closest" country?  If a country has several mirrors, how do we know which
is closest?  If the closest isn't the fastest, they may want another anyway...

Seems too much bother to me...  I think a link to the
entire list, organized by country, is fine.  I don't think trying to match
the user to the country will work well.

> Any suggestions?
>
> I'd prefer a simple solution that can be used _anywhere_ on the site
> whereever download links are needed.

See above.  I can start coding something up, but I don't think it will work
well.

Maybe we can create a flat list organized by country, with #name links to
each country. Then we can try to find the user's country code, and if we can
send them to the page with the #name link set to their country, so they
see their country first.  If we can't find their country, we just send them
to the top of the list.  Kind of a mix of the two ideas...

> Fixed, but still not-so-easy to understand, I think. Maybe a small graph
> can clarify this? If yes - volunteers? I'm not good at such things.

I'll commit a slightly modified version of it, and then take comments on it.

Ideas welcome still.

--
Eric Rostetter