Future of fedora.us and fedoralegacy.org (was Re: Legacy mirror structure)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 19 13:52:56 UTC 2004

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> could we symlink legacy to legacy-addons on fedora.us for a short period with
> an updated yum package pointing to the new location  perhaps a future feature
> for yum would be to detect 301 errors and adjust its config to suit.

An interesting idea that I haven't heard before, but unfortunately I
doubt this is feasible.  I can think of several ways to potentially
abuse this too...

>>5) download.fedora.us will no longer be needed by FC2, since Extras will
>>be moved to fedora.redhat.com.  Then fedoralegacy.org will continue to
>>handle "updates" for each distribution in their own mirror structure.
>>
>>6) When FC2 goes EOL, fedora.redhat.com's Extras might also be frozen.
>>Thus fedoralegacy.org may need to add an "updates-extras" channel in
>>order to serve security updates to FC2's Extras.  We will not need to
>>discuss this until sometime during 2005 though.
>

> perhaps should the fedora.us tree be considered extras for RH8.0 RH9 and FC1?
> and moved to fedoralegacy.org when product is EOL?

Users already use our existing trees and fedura.us mirrors.  Better to
not confuse fedoralegacy's goal which is ONLY updates and not add-ons.

>>7) fedoralegacy.org can continue to use bugzilla.fedora.us.  That
>>instance of Bugzilla is now being maintained professionally and should
>>remain stable as a result.  New products/components can be added to the
>>Bugzilla to uniquely support Legacy development.
>

> as part of the fedoralegacy.org identity i think we should have our own
> bugzilla and wiki

Just point another domainname to that IP address.  It should work I
think. =)  But if you folks insist on running your own Bugzilla, that
means you need to maintain it too.

Warren