mc packages need QA

Wade Maxfield maxfield at one.ctelcom.net
Mon Jan 19 20:10:43 UTC 2004

  I've done UML.

  I've found that redhat 8.0 is the most stable platform underneath the
uml.  I've tried Mandrake and Debian.  Debian was very unstable on an
athlon.

  I use tun/tap to generate the ip address sockets to create your ip
addresses. This gives every machine its own address without tying up
addresses on the host machine.

  I run some mandrakes as uml's, so I create a Mandrake user.  The
Mandrake user runs the uml under 'his' permissions, so the startup file
must create the taps with his permissions.
--------------------------------------
here is part of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

#
# set up bridging on ethernet 0
/etc/rc.d/setup_br0

# bridging on ethernet 1
/etc/rc.d/setup_br1

-------------------------------------
the setup_br0 file
---------------------------
#setup_br0

# modify eth0, turning it into br0

modprobe bridge
modprobe tun
/usr/sbin/brctl addbr br0
/usr/sbin/brctl stp br0 off
/bin/su - mandrake -c "/usr/bin/tunctl -u mandrake -t tap0"
/bin/su - mandrake -c "/usr/bin/tunctl -u mandrake -t tap2"
/bin/su - mandrake -c "/usr/bin/tunctl -u mandrake -t tap4"
/bin/su - mandrake -c "/usr/bin/tunctl -u mandrake -t tap6"

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/sbin/ifconfig tap2 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/sbin/ifconfig tap4 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/sbin/ifconfig tap6 0.0.0.0 promisc up

/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap0
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap2
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap4
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap6

/sbin/ifconfig br0 11.22.33.7 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
/sbin/route add default gw 11.22.33.1
/sbin/route add -host 11.22.33.7 br0
the startup file
#!/bin/bash
#uml startvm
#
cd /home/vmdirectory
echo the uml_console umid is "vm"
#
# the virtual machine uses file root_fs by default
# that root_fs file is in /home/vmdirectory
# and must be owned by the user starting the vm
# or must be in the same group as that user and that
# user has write priv to it.
#
# swapfile allows you to mount a swap as its own hard
# drive
#
# the following line has wrapped
#
linux umid=vm mem=64M eth0=tuntap,tap2 con0=fd:0,fd:1 con=/dev/null
ubd1=swapfile

In the virtual machine, I found the following to be useful
when running multiple virtual machine. The last two #'s are related
to the ip addresses I'm running with:

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

ifconfig eth0 hw ether FE:FD:00:00:33:7

  --> This gives you a good unique etherent address (which matches the
network address to some extent) and allows multiple machines to exist
on the same network with some semblance of sanity as you bring machines
up and down.

NOTE:  Different kernels behave differently as UML kernels.  Some work
better than others.  Be aware that a UML kernel may not boot.  I've heard
of problems with version 2.4.23. These may be stupid user tricks, maybe
not.

 I run the uml machines in console windows under X.  I do a start menu,
run, /home/vimdirectory/startvm (and check "run in a console").

  This gives me an interactive boot window that I can take up and down
indefinitely.

 I've tried the demon that can provide tun/tap's, but I've had issues with
it being unstable. That may be my fault.

  Also, bringing a machine up and down by forcing it down and then back up
may hose the bridge interface and require a master machine reboot to bring
that tun/tab (tap2 in this case) back to life.  This happens once in a
great while to me.