When to bump the build?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 22 01:22:22 UTC 2004

Jesse Keating wrote:
> A recent problem found in the 8.0 build of tcpdump shows that
> autoconf213 is needed to complete the build correctly.  Because of
> this, we need to modify the current candidate for publish in bugzilla.
> Since we will be modifying it, should we bump the build ID up one more
> on the package?  I think yes, as it shows clearly a newer package
> within the ticket.  I'm pretty sure that RH goes through a few bumps
> internally, as there can be a jump in the number from update to update.
>
> Thoughts?

RH's policy is ANY PACKAGE THAT LEAVES YOUR LOCAL SYSTEM must always
bump the release number.

For Legacy I would suggeset not bumping a number only for a rebuild on
the higher distribution, but instead adding some sort of disttag.  For
example:

foo-1.3.5-2.7.2.legacy
foo-1.3.5-2.7.3.legacy
foo-1.3.5-2.8.legacy

Do this ONLY if the only spec change is the release number, and the
versions were unified for the purpose of making it easier to maintain in
the future.  Also recall the earlier agreed upon policy that any
upgrading of versions for the purpose of unifying versions across
distributions must be explicitly communicated on the list and agreed
upon by consensus.

(By consensus, I would suggest making it among past contributors.)

Warren