yum and rpm updates for 8.0

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 29 01:29:37 UTC 2004

Quoting Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at welho.com>:

> RH lived through the RHL 8.0 rpm lockup period and survived. If Fedora
> Legacy starts fixing bugs RH didn't .. where does that end?

At our boundries that we've defined.

> The people who want legacy support are likely willing to rather live
> with documented bugs than with unknown new ones., otherwise they
> would've already upgraded to something newer already.

Yes, but are the FL developers willing to?  And should FL not try to
warn these people about a problem which could cause our updates to fail
to install on their machine?  And provide a solution that prevents such
failures?

As was said earlier, this is an optional upgrade anyway.  So if they want
to live with the bugs, and corrupt their system or fail to update their
system, that is fine and they may do so.  If instead they would like
a more stable system so they can sleep better, then they can update it.

Myself, I've been hit too many times by the bugs not to update.  Your
mileage may vary.

--
Eric Rostetter