yum and rpm updates for 8.0

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 29 21:38:11 UTC 2004

Quoting Jason Lim <maillist at jasonlim.com>:

> If that is the case (that yum 1.x works around whatever bug is in rpm)
> then isn't rolling yum 1.x the logical path, rather than issuing
> non-essential upgrades for rpm?

Uhm, so forcing them to install *new* software is okay, but forcing them
to install a fix for *broken* software they already have installed isn't?

Or, forcing them to install and learn yum is okay, but letting them use
the software they already know how to us and already have installed
(apt, rpm, etc) is wrong?

> I suppose some people will want to upgrade
> rpm anyway, and they should have the choice, but this choice should not be
> mandatory imho.

It isn't.  It is optional, and only for RH 8/9, not for RH 7.x.

End of discussion (didn't I already say that???)

--
Eric Rostetter