Fwd: Linux Broadcom 5820 Cryptonet Driver Integer Overflow

Simon Weller simon at nzservers.com
Fri Jul 2 15:11:02 UTC 2004

I'm with Dominic on this one.

It's starting to snowball badly now, and with the qa process the kernel
releases get pushed out weeks.
Perhaps we need to discuss some sort of ranking system on issues that come up
to decide whether they should derail a release or not.
I honestly think that delays on important issues (such as the user triggered
kernel oops) really dilute the usefulness of the whole process, as right now
there are a huge number of servers out there that can be easily crashed by
Joe Bloggs because he's pissed off at his web hosting company for increasing
his monthly charge by $2.

We could get a kernel out now (as by the looks of it, including personal qa
that it's stable), and then roll these patches, get another kernel in QA
within the next couple of days and get it out late next week assuming it gets
through the test process ok.

My 2 cents.

- Si

On Friday 02 July 2004 09:57 am, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 07:37:45AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > No, but the newly announced CVE should delay the release:
>
> I disagree. 35.x should get out the door first. There will be more and
> more issues that need to be address; I've already explained my thoughts
> behind this before: the thing will snowball, and already has done.
>
> At this rate the kernel work is becoming useless.
>
> Dominic.
>

> --

Simon Weller LPIC-2, BCIP
Systems Engineer
NZServers LTD
http://www.nzservers.com/
U.S. Branch

<-
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work on it.
 - Scott Granneman, Security Focus
->