old tux bug in kernel 2.4, patch

Henry Goffin hgoffin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 23:21:29 UTC 2004

Hello all,

There is a long-standing bug in Tux (the built-in kernel http server)
which has been driving me nuts.  When compression is enabled, Tux
sends the Content-Length of the uncompressed content, but only writes
the compressed bytes to the output stream.  This result in a client
timeout; it is especially noticeable on stylesheets under Mozilla,
where it can stall a page load for up to 30 seconds.

With some digging, I found the following patch from 2002 by Miles Elam:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/tux-list/2002-November/msg00029.html

The patch looks very low-risk and seems to be the right thing to do.
Strangely, it was never acknowledged until this Feb 2004 post by Ingo
Molnar:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/tux-list/2004-February/msg00011.html

I'm sure that backporting all the latest Tux changes is unfeasible,
but perhaps Miles' patch could be applied before 2.4.20-35 gets
released?

- Henry Goffin