RH7.1->RH7.2

John Dalbec jpdalbec at ysu.edu
Mon Jul 26 21:12:43 UTC 2004

> On Saturday 24 July 2004 11:00 pm, Michael Kratz wrote:
>
>>Tom Diehl wrote:
>>
>>>Just out of couriosity why 7.2 and not at least 7.3. FL is still
>>>supporting 7.3 but 7.2 and down are no longer supported.
>>
>>I'm planning to go 7.1 > 7.2 > 7.3

The only 7.1->7.3 gotchas I've noticed:
After upgrading glibc (which I did before anything else), I had to restart SSH
the next morning because initgroups() had stopped working.

After upgrading identd, PostgreSQL ident authentication stopped working because
the default was changed to encrypt the account name.  I reversed the change and
all was well.  (Of course it took me several hours of downtime to figure out
what the problem was because I had upgraded a number of packages at once.)

After upgrading lilo, remember to re-run it!  Make sure you have an up-to-date
boot floppy just in case.  I guess I could have used the rescue CD if the box in
question had had a more recent CD-ROM drive.  Instead I had to play "guess which
partition is /" (no, I didn't have that written down anywhere).
John