8.0 packages to QA

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sun Jun 6 19:20:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 05:40, Kelson Vibber wrote:
> At 10:10 AM 6/6/2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 00:42, Jon Peatfield wrote:
> > > The specfile contains a list of patches to apply to the source, if the
> > > same (exact) patch applies as can be takes from another source (Debian
> > > or RHEL fro example), then you just need to add the PatchN lines to
> > > the specfile, change the package release and rebuild.
> >
> >And usually do you include the patch url into the spec file?
>
> Not in any RPMs I've looked at.
Okay.. I might have mistaken those for the FreeBSD ports I've looked at.

> >Do you patch it before making into RPM or get rpmbuild to wget the patch
> >and merge it?
>
> One of the design goals (IIRC) of RPM was to be able to start with a
> project's plain, unmodified source code and add patches and structure on
> top of it.  So a source RPM should include:
>
> - unpatched source code (usually tar.gz or tar.bz2)
> - patches (if needed)
> - install/uninstall scripts (if needed)
> - additional files (.desktop entries, icons, etc.)
> - the spec file

Understood.

> You should download the patch,
Where to "Find" the patch would be the question. Someone on this list
actually pointed a few URLs. however, I would like to get some sort of
consensus here, Is BugZilla "the" way to go to look for patches? Eg: If
I see something on Bugtraq which affects one of my RH8.0 packages, Can I
just look into bugzilla and "try" to locate the patch for it?? If it's
not available there, are there any other locations whereby it can be
found?

I guess, My problem would be "not" that I can't roll my own RPMs, it's
more towards where to locate the patch (hand diffing the .rej is fine
too) and then updating the corresponding .spec file.

Thanks.

/The One Who still doesn't get .spec files