Redhat 8 to 9

ral77 ral77 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 10 02:35:11 UTC 2004

Bas Vermeulen wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 12:00, Michael Kratz wrote:
>

>>I've got a redhat 8 server, and out of interest I configured yum to use the
>>redhat 9 repositories, then toyed with yum update <insert popular package>
>>(i.e. apache, sendmail, etc) what is interesting is that with some of these
>>theres very few dependencies to do the upgrade. (i.e. dependency for
>>sendmail was tcpwrappers, and thats it)
>>
>>My question is, is this a bad thing to do, and would it really break
>>anything by upgrading some things to the Redhat 9 versions?
>>

>Personally I've just upgraded my server with apt-get upgrade from RH 8
>to RH 9. Works so far, with 0 downtime.
>
>Bas Vermeulen

At the monthly LUG hackfest I was talking to a couple people about upgrading redhat 8 --> rh9
and it was mentioned to boot the rh8 system with the redhat 9 install cd #1 and select upgrade anybody see any pitfalls in this method versus apt-get or yum. I do have physical access to the redhat 8 server.

thx's