Fixed Kernel?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 2 03:10:21 UTC 2004

Quoting Warren Togami <warren at togami.com>:

> Note that just "running" a kernel usually wont expose less obvious
> problems.  You folks testing the update-testing kernel should run stress
> tests that cause CPU/disk/RAM to be heavily saturated.  If it swaps
> heavily that is a good test.

Ah, true, but in my case my users do that for me (numerical code running,
mathematica, maple, web browsers, etc. Usually running about 10-15 people
on the machine, with loads often going up to 8 to 10 range).

> bonnie++ is a good test for disk I/O and filesystem stability.

True.  Since we're releasing security patches though, one thing that would
be great is if anyone could test the exploits of the kernel bug to make
sure the security problem is actually fixed...

--
Eric Rostetter