[FLSA-2004:1284] Updated kernel resolves security vulnerabilities

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 5 05:09:05 UTC 2004

Quoting ral77 <ral77 at bellsouth.net>:

> Troels Arvin wrote:

First, welcome Troels!  Haven't seen your name for a long time (I used
to use your Red Hat PHP RPMS et al).  Glad to see your name pop up here.

>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:05:42 -0500, SC Web Services wrote:
>>

>>> So I did a reboot, but for some reason, it continues to boot the second
>>> entry, image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-28.7. Can this have something to do with
>>> the name too long issue?
>>>

>> Yes. Remove all occurrences of ".legary" from lilo.conf and re-run "lilo".

Please not all this info was in the advisory email released, and in the
bugzilla entry for the kernel.

> Will this apply to /boot/grub.conf as well after the updated kernel is
> installed (remove .legacy from kernel entry) ?

No.  Grub handles it fine, as stated in the advisory.

> I have both rh72 with lilo and a rh8 server using the grub bootloader.
> In the past when I  downloaded and updated a kernel manually it was rpm
> -ivh kernel-2.4.20-*. This way the previous kernel is still available as
> backup , would a rpm -Fvh overwrite the kernel-2.4.20-28.7.

Yes.  Use -ivh, as either -Fvh or -Uvh will remove the previous kernel(s).

> thx's
> Robert

Note in some cases, if you have a "non-standard" lilo configuration, the
install will fail to update lilo also.  So I personally always run lilo
manually after the install to make sure it works and does what I expect
before I reboot.

Also note: If you are installing an important update (and the kernel would
be about the most important one) PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ADVISORY before
doing the install.  Both Red Hat and Fedora Legacy put important information
in these advisories that may affect your installation.

--
Eric Rostetter