getting yum on redhat 8.0

Wade Maxfield maxfield at one.ctelcom.net
Fri Mar 19 23:26:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:14:17 -0600
> From: Eric Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu>
> To: fedora-legacy-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: getting yum on redhat 8.0
>
> Quoting Wade Maxfield <maxfield at one.ctelcom.net>:
>
> >   I got a round tuit and went to the fedora legacy pages.  There are great
> > tutorials on YUM for 7.3 and 7.2, but not for 8.0.
>
> Because FL has not yet released a yum for 8.0.  I have no idea why.
> I wish they would.
>
> > The instructions for
> > installing the apt using rpm don't work exactly as stated.
>
> Because there is no released apt for 8.0 from FL yet, though one has been
> in development for a while now.

 Sorry, I was not clear on that remark.  Installing apt using rpm for 7.x
does not work as stated on a 7.x box, at least for a stupid user such as
myself.  It fails silently.

  The problem is the ??? in the description.  I assumed that it would
magically fetch the right file name.   Instead rpm will not do a web page
fetch when done that way.  The correct file name had to be gathered by
looking at the download.fedoralegacy.org page and realizing what the
actual file name was, and plugging that in.

  Since most fedoralegacy users are rather intelligent and can get past
that just like I did, I just made a simple mention and did not clarify
myself.

> >   I would like to offer these snippets for someone to put into a "yum for
> > redhat 8.0" page very similar to the ones for 7.2/7.3
>
> I don't really want to do this unless someone tells me there will never
> be a FL yum for 8.0.  Otherwise I'd rather wait for the FL yum.
>
> If there is no plan for a FL yum for 8.0, then I will add info on how
> to get a non-FL version.
>
> >  Yum for Redhat 8.0 can be obtained from freshrpms.net. It is the rpm:
> > yum-2.0.3-5.rh.fr.i386.rpm
>
> I'd hate to have FL tell how to install non-FL software, and would hate
> the wars that come with it (don't use the freshrpms.net version, instead
> use the xxx.yyy version which is better for some reason).

  I understand, though I consider it sad that wars would be generated.  I
don't even like Microsoft wars any more.  Though they are interesting to
watch sometimes, but never to participate in.

> If you want to put any of this up on the FL wiki, I won't stop you (and
> may even help improve it).  But I don't think it is appropriate for the
> web site, IMHO.

  I'll look into it.  May I borrow some of the original web page for 7.x
so it looks consistent?  I'll make sure that this is described as a
TEMPORARY document until the FL yum is done.  It will take some time to
get another round tuit.

> --
> Eric Rostetter

wade