Please Use the Mirrors!

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Fri May 7 13:05:19 UTC 2004

Gary Stainburn wrote, On 5/7/2004 2:33 AM:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 8:33 pm, Bret Hughes wrote:
>
>>Seems to me that rsync would help people create local repositories for
>>their company's use.  Even if they have only 3 or four machines, it has
>>to be made easy for them to create the repo.  I can't remember the
>>issue, but several months ago I tried to use mirror to create the tree
>>so I could aptify my local tree but could not get it to work (and no, I
>>do not do recursive listings).  I can try again if you like.
>
> As someone who has only briefly looked at rsync, would it be possible for
> someone to knock up a small HOWTO.
>
> I've corrently only got one server and one laptop running FC1, but having seen
> it perform, it's likely that I'm going to upgrade my 6-7 RH7.3 boxes soon.

If the goal is to save bandwidth, installing a local caching proxy like
squid is a good idea, just make sure that you set the maximum file size
to something large enough to cover the biggest RPM in the repository.
Typically machines will do a number of things in day-to-day operation,
check for the latest headers, and download updates.  Both of those
operations will be cached by the local proxy.  The downside of rsync is
that you need to run it periodically, and there will be quite a large
amount of storage space required as well.

However, if you still want to rsync, this command will work:

rsync -rpt --delete \
   --exclude="lost+found" --exclude=\*.src.rpm \
   ${SERVER}/redhat/7.3 ${LOCALREPO}

Replace ${SERVER} with a mirror, and ${LOCALREPO} with your local
repository directory.

Note that this command only mirrors the redhat 7.3 repository.

-Dave