Good bye, Fedora Legacy!

Howard Owen hbo at egbok.com
Mon May 17 18:35:46 UTC 2004

All good points. It's hard to criticise a volunteer effort, particularly
since I haven't found a way to be useful yet (though not from lack of
offering,) but I have to get fixes out a *lot* quicker than I've seen them
appear here. Now, I have the advantage of an internal QA process that
backstops my work, but those guys have procedures they follow, and they
get the job done reasonably quickly.

How can I help in addressing some of Michael's criticisms? My expertise is
in analyzing and integrating patches. But it seems that what is needed is
some minimal amount of formalism and process. I say "minimal" because
projects can get bogged down in discussions over that sort of thing. I
vote for a bare-bones release process that can be effective. Off the top
of my head:

	1 Vulnerabilty Analysis.
	  Watch the lists, the vendor patches and other sources. Determine
	  quickly if a particular problem applies to the relevant distros.
	  That part of the process doesn't seem to be broken, though it's
	  informal.
	2 Remediation.
	  Leverage the vendors. State schedules. Publish status. As
	  Michael notes, this will become increasingly difficult as the
	  supported distributions drift farther from the mainstream.
	  That's unavoidable, but the critical thing is frequent status
	  updates so that others can see where help is needed.
	3 QA.
	  This seems to be where the most trouble is. Is the problem
	  due to lack of testers? What are the criterea for calling
	  QA adequate? Where is the status pubished? If we don't have
	  testers for a particular distribution, perhaps we should
	  consider dropping support for that distro. That's harsh, but
	  if folks don't like it, they can pitch in. Or can they?
	4 Release.
	  What are the criterea? Are there infrastructure issues? What's
	  the schedule?

Apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere. Also, I'm not
unappreciative of the effort shown here. The triage has been very helpful
to me, and I'm grateful. I'd like to offer help where I can, but I'm
concerned that it could be wasted without a bit more formal approach.

--
Howard Owen                      "Even if you are on the right
EGBOK Consultants                 track, you'll get run over if you