Kudos! And an Introduction

Howard Owen hbo at egbok.com
Wed May 19 23:38:19 UTC 2004

Well, you obviously took my whining to heart. 8)

Other than taking credit for something other people have done (as above,
apply humor filter,) is there anything else I can do to help out the
fedora-legacy project? I can analyze fixes, apply patches  and sling SRPMs
around. I can also write documentation. If there's a need for QA, I can consider
converting a server over to an unpopular release. (7.[12]? 8.0?). I
imagine you have enough 7.3 capacity, though if that's not the case, I
have one server running that release.

I can't remember if I gave a "self introduction" or not, so here goes. I
have 18 years systems administration experience, starting on VAX/VMS in
1986. I put my first Unix system, a Sun 4/110, together in 1989. I loaded
Linux for the first time on a home PC in 1993 (Slackware with kernel
0.9something, IIRC.). Linux has become increasingly important in my
professional life since then, of course. I switched over to Red Hat at
5.2, and I've pretty well stuck with them since. I'm currently supporting
a large multinational's 7.3 based legacy Linux distro with security
patches, working for another large multinational as a contractor to the
first. I also do quite a bit of other work in the Linux line on the same
project. My core specialty is systems administration tools.

For many years, I maintained "op", which is a sudo-like program. I
recently wrote sudoscript (http://egbok.com/sudoscript) which is a system
for auditing activity in a root shell using sudo(8) and script(1).
The first program is in C, and the second in Perl. I have lots of
experience in both, though my Perl is much more current.

I'm a Linux enthusiast, as well as a Linux professional. I believe in Free
Software, but I'm not a fanatic. Systems Administrators have to be
practical about most things, mainly because they rarely have a choice
about what their users will throw at them. 8)

If anyone took offense to my earlier postings, then I apologize. The flood
of new fixes is impressive. I do think large lag times in releasing fixes
is a problem for users depending on a service like this. But I'm
volunteering to help out all I can to reduce turnaround. I can probably
give five to ten hours a week.

Thanks for the useful service. As I've said before, the triage has been
particularly helpful to me. Keep up the good work!

 --
Howard Owen                      "Even if you are on the right
EGBOK Consultants                 track, you'll get run over if you