State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Thu May 20 13:31:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Jesse Keating wrote:

> For the most part, RHL 7.3 packages (and RHEL2.1 packages) can be
> rebuilt to run on 7.2, and RHL9 (RHEL3) packages can be rebuilt to run
> on 8.0.  However without proper testing and engineering by the Fedora
> Legacy community it would be irresponsible for us to just do these
> simple steps.

 Maybe you could move redhat 7.2 to an unsupported/ folder and put there
the rebuilded packages which were for 7.3. I think that in 99.999% of the
cases there will be no problems at all and this service will be invaluable
to many. For the remaining 0.001%, well... they have been warned and I'm
sure they will warn the others so the package in question will get fixed
pretty quickly :)
 The extra time needed for this is not very much and in that way we could
have several other distros (8.0 maybe?) in an almost fully supported
state.

 I will appreciate very much such a move, as I still have a very importand
server with 7.2 and I'm too afraid to upgrade (it runs far too many
services and has some hacks in some places to make the upgrade more
difficult). I think I'm not the only one in this state...