State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 20 22:47:45 UTC 2004

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> This still sucks developer time to backport fixes (for things that don't
> really rebuild) and even though it's "unsupported" it's still coming from
> Fedora Legacy and thus expected to be good.

Wasn't AS 2.1 built off RHL 7.2?  So wouldn't the patches be fairly easy
to come by in most cases?  I think that was the argument before...

No such argument for RHL 8.0 though.  It is different enough that backporting
patches is non-trivial.

> Also we can't hit every
> update, so I would feel not so good about missing some security stuff.

Why not?  I don't think there is anything in 7.2 that isn't in 7.3, is
there?  And if 7.2 does follow AS 2.1, then it should be pretty easy
to track...

> If we're going to turn off 7.2/8.0 it's going to be complete.  I'd leave
> the directory trees up there, but nothingmore would be added.

Not arguing that, just think we should discuss both options before we decide.
My memory is a little vague as to the AS 2.1 tracking though, so correct
me if I'm wrong...

--
Eric Rostetter