Yum and RPM's hang after install of Apache and cups on FC 1

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Oct 7 14:23:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 03:52:06PM -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Am Mi, den 06.10.2004 schrieb Cool Alexander Dalloz um 21:50:
> > rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*         [ in /etc/rc.sysinit line 657 ]
> > You then manually did the "rpm --rebuilddb" even.
>
> You know what? This happened to me about 3 years ago under Redhat 8 or 9,
> I can't remember now, and...I had to do the same thing.

The author of RPM released a fixed rpm at rpm.org that works great on
RH9.  RH9 comes with a very old rpm-4.2-0.69.  The new one is
rpm-4.2-1 and contains many many bugfixes over the one in RH9,
including fixes for the hang issue.

For some reason unknown to many (including the author, Jeff Johnson)
Red Hat management did not accept it as an errata update for RH9.
However, I install it on every RH9 machine I have, because it always
fixes the hang issue for me, and it has never introduced any new
issues.

It would be nice if Fedora Legacy would release this package as an
official, long-overdue update to RH9.  We could just add our signature
to the binary distributed here:

ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.2.x/

If people don't trust the author JBJ, then I don't know who we should
trust.