2 PHP vulnerabilities

Simon Weller simon at nzservers.com
Fri Oct 8 15:39:59 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I see Gentoo has just release a new version of PHP to take care of a parse
error in php_variables.c leading to an memory read when passing a specially
crafted parameter.

Also commented in the advisory was a method of overwriting  the $_FILES array
using a specially crafted header.

Reading between the lines of the various advisories it seems that 4.1.2 isn't
affected by the parse error issue, but all versions later are (according to
the Gentoo advisory).

Details:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/375294
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/375370
http://secunia.com/advisories/12560

As I didn't QA the recent PHP release, I'm not sure whether either of these
were covered in the new FL release. I can't find any mention of these on
Bugzilla either (for FL or Fedora Stable).

Doing a quick grep through the 4.2.2 patch doesn't seem to show any fixes for
the php_variables.c parse error.

Any comments?

- Si
--
Simon Weller LPIC-2
Systems Engineer

<-
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work on it.
 - Scott Granneman, Security Focus
->