XInetd & /etc/services Issue

Jim Robinson tux at linux-sp.com
Tue Oct 19 19:37:31 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

I have pulled my hair out on this issue for a week or so now and wondered
if anyone else knows of any issues regarding this.

I am trying to configure xinetd to use a 3rd party daemon.
The entries are as follows in /etc/xinetd.d/platypusd

service platypusd
{
        disable = no
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        port            = 5124
        protocol        = tcp
        server          = /private/platypusd/platypusd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

(please note I know that stating port & protocol should make the lookup to
/etc/services not needed but it still calls...)

Now in /etc/services I create the port & protocol entries:-
platypusd       5124/tcp                # Platypus user utility daemon

When I restart xinetd however I get this error:
Oct 19 15:32:25 venus xinetd[7520]: Exiting...
Oct 19 15:32:25 venus xinetd: xinetd shutdown succeeded
Oct 19 15:32:25 venus xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
Oct 19 15:32:25 venus xinetd[13568]: service/protocol combination not in
/etc/services: platypusd/tcp
Oct 19 15:32:26 venus xinetd[13568]: xinetd Version 2.3.12 started with
libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
Oct 19 15:32:26 venus xinetd[13568]: Started working: 4 available services

I have tried every which way I can think of to try and get xinetd to read
the correct lines from /etc/services but it just does not want to jive.  I
thought I had a corrupt xinetd but I tried from another FC1 install on a
side server and it did the same thing too!  From what little I have played
with xinetd it has always been a walk in the park.  Does anyone else have
any idea what might be going on here?

If you could cc me in on replies at: jim-AT-linux-sp.com  I would grateful.

Regards,

Jim