Is there a guide or howto on 7.2 ==> 7.3 overall upgrade?

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cuip.net
Sun Oct 24 18:34:34 UTC 2004

I understand why 7.3 is supported tho 7.2 is not.  On the Legacy website
in one of the places where it mentions this, there is the suggestion
"Users of RHL 7.2 are urged to upgrade to RHL 7.3. Users of RHL 8.0 are
urged to upgrade to RHL 9 or newer."

Could someone point me to some sort of guide on how to go about turning a
7.2 system into a 7.3?  (Far enough to be able to use 7.3 updates,
anyway.)  Thanks very much.

While I'm asking explanation favors, could someone please provide a
pointer into the list archives (or re-post the article) that explained the
different major-release and end-of-life versions and what key features
differentiate them?  I saw it go by on this list, and saw it praised, but
unfortunately I saved it for later study and have forgotten
where I put it :(

  [ This has been answered --
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ.html ]

Oh, one more: Why do the advisories seem to suggest blanket updates for
those using yum or apt-get?  That is, things like this:

" To use yum issue:
"
"    yum update
"
" or to use apt:
"
"   apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

I prefer to handle packages one-by-one, and would thus prefer to see these
commands in the one-package form with the applicable package name.
Otherwise I need to dig out the package name from the advisory title or
the RPM links (sometimes harder than it sounds, if there are version
numbers built in) or face up to building an exception list.

Thanks a lot,

  Mitch Marks

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP & WIT Tech Coordinator

Phones: Area 773  (O) 702-6041  (F) 702-8212  (H) 241-7166 (C) 620-6744
Email: Primary address: mitchell at cuip.net
	Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with CUIP\WIT mail!):
           mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
	Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

So which is more your cup of tea: DKNY or CSNY?
And which of these butters your toast: Mos Def, MOS-FET, or Boba Fett?