Let's get moving

Marc Deslauriers marcdeslauriers at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 2 22:02:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 10:48, Matt Nuzum wrote:
> Sorry if this sounds a bit like a rant, it's really not.  It strikes
> me that FLP is a short-term project to help people transition into one
> of the more long-term linux solutions.

AFAIK, FLP is a long term project to transform Fedora products into
long-term linux solutions.

> For those people who really can't afford to make big changes every
> year and are still running RH 7, 8, and 9 (like me), we need to
> transition to a commercially supported distribution.

Or, a community supported distribution, like debian, or Fedora Legacy.

> There is one other group of people; those who want a free OS but
> didn't realize the extent of what RH said when FC was released as an
> unsupported, rapidly changing distribution.  I was shocked to see FC1
> retired so soon.  People in this group need to come to the realization
> that they need to choose a new distribution, either RHEL for
> stability, FC for new features and RH familiarity, or another
> distribution entirely.

Once the Fedora Legacy Project starts rolling, FC will become a viable
option for long-term use, as much as Red Hat Linux used to be, although
unsupported by Red Hat.

> I've found that people often hesitate to volunteer for a project when
> there is no end in sight.  They feel like they will be chained to it
> for the rest of their life.  I think if we said, (for example) RH 7.x
> support extended through FLP until Dec. 31 2005 and (again for
> example) RH 8,9 support extended through Dec 31 2006 it would help

Timelines don't really work in a community supported project. Although
rh 7.2 and rh 8.0 support was supposed to be longer, lack of community
interest put them on hold. Nevertheless, there are timelines published
on the FLP web page somewhere.

> I personally do not advocate that FLP support FC > 1.

Why not? There is no reason FLP can't extend the useful life of FC
releases.

>   I think a lot
> of people bought into FC thinking it was the next generation of RHL.

It's the next generation of free RHL.

Marc.