questions about yum.conf (long)

Barbara Pennacchi b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it
Wed Sep 29 15:41:40 UTC 2004

Hi, I have 3 questions about yum.conf (my version of yum is 2.0.7-3)

1) I've put 3 different servers in it, the nearest mirror first, then
fedoralegacy.org and fedora.us for last, but it looks like yum ignores the
order I put them in and tries to go to fedora.us first! (yum.conf
available upon request)

2) If I do a yum check-update, I see there are updates to, say, tcpdump
libpcap and arpwatch. But yum update alone ignores them. I have to specify
the name of the rpm I want to upgrade. Sometimes I have to try twice
before it gets the hint. (transcript available upon request as to not hog
the ML)

3) has anyone checked the coherency between what's found in fedoralegacy's
website regarding entries in yum.conf? Take, for example,
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/ and
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh9.php (i use a RH9 box). If you
look carefully at the exapmles, there are slight differences in the
structure of the baseurls. I know, I know: maybe both work just fine, but
for someone newbish enough and not so much the average luser, this might
leave them a bit stymied.

P.S: I've set the debug level in yum.conf to 2. To what level should I put
it as to see in the log something more about yum's almost-idiotic
behaviour for questions 1 and 2?

|         WARNING WARNING WARNING *** EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGED!         |
|                  USE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW                  |
|     IF YOU KEEP WRITING TO THE OLD ADDRESS IT IS NOT MY FAULT!     |
| Barbara Pennacchi                          b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |