questions about yum.conf (long)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 29 17:14:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:41, Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> Hi, I have 3 questions about yum.conf (my version of yum is 2.0.7-3)
>
> 1) I've put 3 different servers in it, the nearest mirror first, then
> fedoralegacy.org and fedora.us for last, but it looks like yum ignores the
> order I put them in and tries to go to fedora.us first! (yum.conf
> available upon request)

You can set the failover order - read the manpage - look for roundrobin
and priority.

> 2) If I do a yum check-update, I see there are updates to, say, tcpdump
> libpcap and arpwatch. But yum update alone ignores them. I have to specify
> the name of the rpm I want to upgrade. Sometimes I have to try twice
> before it gets the hint. (transcript available upon request as to not hog
> the ML)

If you can replicate this - file a bug at yum bugzilla about it. I've
not heard of this problem on yum 2.0.X, so far.

> P.S: I've set the debug level in yum.conf to 2. To what level should I put
> it as to see in the log something more about yum's almost-idiotic
> behaviour for questions 1 and 2?

debug level 2 is fine for normal runs.

if you want to send more information you can run:
yum -d number_greater_than_2 yourcommand

-sv