md5sum for entire filesystem?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Sep 30 18:28:32 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 30.09.2004 schrieb Jiann-Ming Su um 19:50:

> Is there a md5sum for all the files in the FC1 distribution?  I know
> there's md5sums for the iso and rpm packages.  But, I'm looking for
> md5sum for each of the files.

tripwire wortks with checksums:
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.testing/tripwire-2.3.1-20.fdr.1.1.i386.rpm

> Is using md5sum even a good way to verify that system files haven't
> been compromised?  I've tested md5sums from a two FC1 installs, and
> they don't match.  And, I'm certain both of these boxes haven't been
> compromised.

2 systems are nearly never exactly the same. Even if you clone systems,
short after they differ because of different log files. (I guess you are
speaking about global checksums and not comparing md5sums of each and
every single file.) Too there is prelinking on Fedora active which
interferes.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 20:25:08 up 22:51, 14 users, 1.82, 1.49, 0.99