md5sum for entire filesystem?

Randall A. Jones rajones at svsmail.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 30 18:27:03 UTC 2004

To verify all RPMs installed on a system you can do something like:

rpm -V `rpm -qa`

You should get a lot of messages about files modified or different in
various ways.  See "man rpm" and search for "VERIFY OPTIONS" to find the
meanings of the flags that show up to the left of the file path.
You might want to send the output to a file ( with "> rpmV.out" ) to
collect it before examining.

You can ignore log files or various status files that show up here
like /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, /var/log/messages, /var/log/wtmp, ...

Look for executables or config files that may have changed like
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, /usr/bin/ssh, /bin/ls ...

... one example output line from "rpm -V `rpm -qa`" ...
S.5....T c /var/lib/nfs/rmtab

If you see a suspicious file modification and you want to know what
package contains that file you can do:
rpm -qf /var/lib/nfs/rmtab

Randall