Mirroring: Bad datestamps prevent hardlinking

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 1 12:09:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:27:18AM -0700, Greg Bailey wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 23:31 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >

> >>Could the parts that are mirrored from Red Hat be timestamped back to
> >>their original values? For instance:
> >>
> >>58217 Oct 29  2003
> >>download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/SRPMS/ncompress-4.2.4-34.src.rpm
> >>58217 Feb 27  2004
> >>download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/os/SRPMS/ncompress-4.2.4-34.src.rpm
> >>
> >>This would allow mirrors of both RH and FL to run hardlink over the
> >>folders and rescue some bits.
> >>

> >Got a good suggestion on how to do that w/out re-downloading every file
> >from RH mirrors?
> >

> Wouldn't running rsync over the mirrored parts go fairly quickly if you
> already have the full fileset?  I recall doing this sort of thing when I
> was a RedHat mirror admin in a former life.  It didn't take long at all
> with the speedup rsync provides.

Yes, that would be the easiest. And if one wants to tune this, one can
use the -B switch to rsync to use larger blocks for the checksums, but
that's probably not neccessary.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net